Sarah Van Patten
DIANA DOLLAR KNOWLES PRINCIPAL DANCER
Ballet Workshop of New England
San Francisco Ballet
Joined the Company as a soloist in 2002
Promoted to principal dancer in 2007
Appointed Diana Dollar Knowles Principal Dancer in 2013
Massachusetts Youth Ballet
Royal Danish Ballet
7 for Eight (pas de deux)
Caprice (pas de deux)
Criss-Cross (Schoenberg-Handel movement principal)
Don Quixote (Mercedes, Queen of the Driads, Gypsy Queen, and Kitri’s Friends)
The Fifth Season (originated)
Nutcracker (Queen of the Snow, Sugar Plum Fairy, Arabian, and Grand Pas de Deux)
On Common Ground
On a Theme of Paganini
Le Quattro Stagioni (Autumn)
Romeo & Juliet (Juliet)
The Sleeping Beauty (Lilac Fairy, Fairy of Generosity, and Pas de Six/Diamond Fairy)
Swan Lake (Odette/Odile, Swan Maidens, and Spanish)
Helgi Tomasson /Lew Christensen
The Nutcracker (Sugar Plum Fairy, Snow Queen, Arabian, and Mirlitons)
Apollo (Calliope and Terpsichore)
Ballo della Regina
Coppélia (Dawn and War and Discord soloist)
Divertimento No. 15
The Four Temperaments (Sanguinic)
Serenade (Waltz Girl and Angel)
Stravinsky Violin Concerto (Aria I)
Symphony in C
Symphony in Three Movements (pas de deux)
Theme and Variations
The Dance House (pas de deux)
Double Stop (originated)
Ibsen’s House (Nora Helmer in “A Doll’s House”)
Double Evil (originated)
in the middle, somewhat elevated
Suite en Blanc (Cigarette and pas de deux)
Winter Dreams (Masha)
Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa
Hans van Manen
Variations for Two Couples
Snowblind (originated role of Zeena Frome)
Agnes de Mille
A Garden (pas de deux)
Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes
The Little Mermaid (Mermaid and Princess)
Guide to Strange Places (originated)
Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming (originated)
Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes
Björk Ballet (originated)
Firebird (Firebird and Princess)
Le Carnival des Animaux (Elephant)
From Foreign Lands (originated)
Russian Seasons (Red Woman)
Chamber Symphony and Symphony #9 in Shostakovich Trilogy
Souvenir d’un lieu cher
Afternoon of a Faun
Dances at a Gathering (Mauve)
In the Night (3rd pas de deux)
Ghost in the Machine
Jardin aux Lilas (Caroline)
After the Rain (pas de deux)
Carousel (A Dance)
Cinderella (Cinderella, Stepmother Hortensia, and Stepsister Edwina)
Within the Golden Hour (originated)
Apollo (Terpsichore and Polyhymnia)
Baiser de la fée
Divertimento No. 15
Serenade (Russian Girl and Waltz Couple)
Symphony in C
Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux
Who Cares? (“The Man I Love”)
The Nutcracker (Sugar Plum Fairy)
Flower Festival in Genzano
Hallelujah Junction (originated)
Romeo and Juliet (Juliet)
Before You Had a Name
- Received an Isadora Duncan Dance Special Award for “Many Faces of Giselle,” noting stellar interpretation of the title role in Helgi Tomasson's Giselle, 2012.
- Awarded an Isadora Duncan Dance Award for Best Ensemble Performance in George Balanchine’s Stravinsky Violin Concerto for San Francisco Ballet's 2009 Repertory Season.
- Nominated for an Isadora Duncan Dance Award for Individual Performance for San Francisco Ballet's 2009 Repertory Season.
- Awarded Denmark’s New Talent Prize as an outstanding apprentice at Royal Danish Ballet, 2001.
- Received Chautauqua Festival Artistic Director’s Award, 1997.
- Performed with Tiit Helimets and Company on tour in Estonia, 2011.
- Performed with Damian Smith and other San Francisco Ballet dancers throughout Australia, 2010.
- Performed with M & Company, Koeln, Germany, 2010.
- Performed with Mateo Klemmayer and other SF Ballet dancers in six European cities, 2008.
- Joined Royal Danish Ballet in 2001 at age 15 as an apprentice, and at age 17, became the youngest dancer to receive a contract in the company’s history.
- Performed Snowflake and Flower in George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker with Pennsylvania Ballet, Philadelphia, 1999.
- Performed Sugar Plum Fairy in George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker with Irving Ballet, Irving Texas, 1998.
What ballet or role would you like to dance but haven't yet? Why?
Lady of the Camellias because it's a beautiful work. Also, I have a history of working with John Neumeier and love his ballets.
What’s your biggest challenge as a dancer? Why?
Time management is a challenge because I'm a mom.
What is your perfect day?
Brunch with my husband and son, visiting the playground, taking an afternoon nap, and dinner with friends and family.